Monday, October 20, 2008

Freebies, Freedom & Flipancy

Picture of the Day:




So, I thought that I'd add a little something to my blog. A little something to help you (whomever you are out there) find a little glory every time I blog on a Monday. That's right, you benefit when I haul my grumpy ass out of bed. A freebie every week will be listed here...somewhere in my blog. You find it and you go there...and it's yours. Perhaps you might even share your finds as well?

You know how I love a great deal? I do, if you don't. I'll admit that I've purchased items that I don't really need because they were such a great deal. Like the giant alphabet stamps for $4.99, that $3 melamine bowl that spins on its own lazy susan, the gallons and gallons of "Oops" paint... Seriously, who doesn't look for a great deal? (Like the free children's cough syrup made from honey that I found on the WWW.) The question is, do you do cartwheels out the front door after-the-fact, even if the item eventually sits in the garage for a season or two before you pawn it off on a naive friend?

Some might think I have a problem, but I like to look at it simply being in denial. Like those suede black boots I bought last week. They weren't draped in a red and white clearance sign; only a measly white $5 off sign. A $5 delimna that took me two hours to fork over my Visa because they were nearly full price. If time were money, I'd be in foreclosure over those winter foot warmers with bold-but-sassy-buckles. Sadly, there isn't a weekly meeting for that one.

With the economy the way it is, isn't everyone cutting back a little? After all, I had to buy an espresso maker so I could forgo my weekly pleasure of raspberry and steamed soy swirled in piping hot goodness. Ok, maybe that's not the kind of example I was thinking of. But seriously, haven't you caught yourself saying, "For vacation this year let's go camping and search for new wildlife...er, in our own backyard" or "Let's plan a romantic dinner...er, in?"

Instead of getting angry over the economic crunch, society has definitely taken a kinder and gentler approach to denial, "Simplify your life" Oprah exclaims. Of course, while you're shopping garage sales to Reduce, Re-Use and Recycle, she's eating escargot and fine wine in Barbados and buying $80 slings to hold her "Sisters" up... "Made in China" of course. Just sayin'.

There's a lot going on in each of our lives, but when it comes down to it, aren't we all just trying to survive? At times I find it hard to be thankful for having to put an extra sweater on rather than turning on the heat, going vegetarian for a meal, or choosing water over an overpriced bubbly with syrup; but at the end of the day, when the coins are all placed neatly in a row, there's more to happiness than "having it all".

I don't know, I keep telling myself that anyways.

No comments: